Marcus Sweetser, the son of James R. Sweetser, focuses on the practice of civil litigation, personal injury, civil rights, wrongful death, and jury trial. He works very closely with his father managing Sweetser Law Office. Marcus has always been passionate about representing people, not the powerful. He acts today as the lead trial attorney for Sweetser Law Office.
Marcus is a leader in the trial lawyer's community. He has taught his approach to civil litigation and jury trial to other lawyers throughout the country. He relishes simplifying the complex. He fights persuasively for justice, but calm persistence and compassion are often his weapons of choice. Most importantly, Marcus is mindful of the toll that an injury or death can have on clients’ lives forever. These values produce better results—and better experiences—for all of our clients.
Marcus grew up in Spokane. Most people do not realize that he grew up with a blue-collar background, raised by a single mother who worked fulltime. There were times when they had to get by with very little, and they made the most of what they had.
His family upbringing, and working summers for his father at Sweetser Law Office, inspired him to explore civil justice for the common good. At an early age, he had the opportunity to learn from the most highly regarded trial attorneys in the nation. He spent long summers conducting jury focus groups to study the dynamics of jury persuasion. These experiences ingrained in Marcus a lifelong love of trial advocacy.
Since that time, Marcus has established himself as a recognized and accomplished trial lawyer for Spokane and Eastern Washington. Marcus obtained verdict over $1,000,000 in only his second jury trial and believes deeply in the civil jury trial system established during the founding of the country.
Marcus is as known for his work in the community as he is for his work in the courtroom. Marcus believes that trial lawyers have an obligation to make their communities a better place – both through litigation and community service. He is an active member of his church, and puts core values at the center of everything he does.
Check out Marcus' personal blog: Life through the eyes of one of Spokane's top trial lawyers: law, business, life and being the best you.
- Chapman Law, Juris Doctorate
- University of Washington, Baccalaureate in International Affairs
- Bellevue College, Associates
- Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College
- Keenan-Ball Trial Lawyers College
- THM Trial Lawyers College
- Spokane County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State Association for Justice
- American Association For Justice
- American Bar Association
- Marcus is a lifelong resident of Spokane and is actively engaged in the community. Among other accomplishments, Marcus is proud of Sweetser Law Office’s endowed scholarship at Gonzaga Law School, his volunteer work through church and nonprofits, drafting legislation passed into law by the Washington State Legislature, serving as a campaign manager for Spokane Representative Marcus Riccelli, and putting an end to electronic ambulance chasing in Washington State.