James R. Sweetser
James R. Sweetser founded
Sweetser Law Office. Sweetser's law practice concentrates primarily on
catastrophic personal injury and
wrongful death claims in both State and Federal Courts.
Prior to forming his injury litigation and trial law firm, Mr. Sweetser
served as Spokane's elected Spokane County Prosecutor where he oversaw
every prosecutorial unit in Spokane County. As the former elected prosecutor,
he has had a large number of high-profile trials in both criminal and
civil cases. Since leaving the prosecutor’s office, he has worked
exclusively with personal injury clients, including auto accident and
wrongful death victims.
Effective Legal Representation
Mr. Sweetser stays up-to-date on cutting-edge trial presentation techniques
by participating in trial seminars across the nation. He has earned major
recoveries for families in a broad range of
serious personal injury, and
wrongful death matters, including:
He has been successful against some of the biggest and most well-funded
corporations and toughest attorneys in Spokane.
Past Legal Experience - A Track Record Of Success
As District Court Deputy Prosecutor, from 1984-1999, James R. Sweetser
served the people of the area, taking on various legal duties at the Spokane
County Prosecutor's Office.
Some of his roles included:
- Juvenile Court Deputy Prosecutor
- Supervisor of Property and Vehicles Crime Unit
- Senior Attorney and Supervisor of the Major Crimes Unit
- Elected Spokane County Prosecutor
During his 14 years as a prosecutor, he participated in 275 criminal trials
and argued 22 cases before the State Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
None of these trial convictions were reversed on appeal.
- Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from Brown University, Providence,
Rhode Island, 1980
- Juris Doctorate from Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington, 1984
- James R. Sweetser is also one of the few Gerry Spence Trial College and
Keenan-Ball Trial College certified.
- American Association for Justice
- Washington Association for Justice (Eagle Member)
- Gerry Spence Trial College
- Keenan-Ball Trial College
James Sweetser has five children all born in the Spokane area. His family
has long ties to the community dating back to his father. He enjoys fishing
and spending time at the lake with his family. He also likes to attend
the Spokane Indians, Spokane Chiefs, Gonzaga Bulldogs, and on occasion
the Seattle Seahawks games.