Spokane panorama

Frequently Asked Questions

Who May be Liable for Animal Bite Injuries?

Depending on the situation, there are many different parties that could be held liable in the case of an animal bite. In most situations, the animal's owner will be held responsible, but if there is no clear answer, a court may help to decide the responsible party. Sometimes the animal is owned by a shelter or at a medical facility. In this case, it may take longer to determine who it is that could owe you compensation. Since this can vary so much, our attorney can help you pinpoint who is responsible.

I Suffered a Slip & Fall Injury at a Local Business. What Can I Do?

No matter what kind of property, public or private, you may be able to hold the property owner liable after a slip or fall injury. You must be able to prove that the owner neglected their legal duty to prevent injuries, or that this duty was breached due to action or inaction on their part. It must also be shown that this breach is what directly caused the injury, resulting in extensive damages on your part.

I Have Been Injured By Medication My Doctor Gave Me. Do I Have a Claim?

In these types of cases, the prescribing doctor or the manufacturer may be found responsible for your injury. Possibly, if the doctor was careless in their prescription of your medication and gave you the wrong type or dose, they may be liable. However, if it was a manufacturing error that caused the injury, it is more likely that the fault could be with the manufacturers. Because this depends on so many different factors, it is vital that you have an experienced advocate review your case.

Do Workers' Compensation Benefits Cover Long-term Problems & Illnesses?

This can largely depend on what the injury was and how it occurred. If your employer has certain policies on this, it's best to first check with them and find out the usual course of action. There is a possibility that even after care was received, an injury or condition can be determined to be "static." This would mean that the workers' compensation provider would likely stop providing benefits for your injury if you have reached maximum healing capacity.

Does a Preexisting Medical Condition Bar Me from Obtaining Compensation?

A preexisting condition cannot win you compensation on its own, however if you happen to have a preexisting condition and you are injured in an unrelated circumstance, the condition will not bar you from receiving compensation. For example, if you have a preexisting neck condition and you are stuck by a negligent truck driver while crossing the street, you could be entitled to compensation despite the presence of the preexisting condition. Furthermore, you may be able to recover compensation if your pre-existing condition was aggravated or worsened due to a recent accident.

Can I Get Compensation for Injuries if I May be Partially at Fault?

In most jurisdictions, you may be able to recover some compensation even if you contributed to the accident in some way. However, in a minority of jurisdictions, it is not possible to recover any if there is any fault on your part. Check with the laws of your jurisdiction to find out more about whether your case can win you compensation. However, consulting with a lawyer for a more detailed answer that pertains to your case is the best way to find out if you can get financial recovery.

What is Liability Insurance?

Liability insurance is a type of insurance that protects the insured person in the event that they are sued. This is a very common type of insurance that most people will have. The insurance company will cover costs for a number of predetermined situations. Different types of insurances cover different situations, so please check with your policy to make sure that the details are relevant to your case. Our attorney can always help to determine the particulars of the policy and discus options for future plans.

Who May Bring a Personal Injury Claim?

Generally, the one who was injured brings forward the claim. However, if the injured party is unable to bring it in themselves, a person may bring up a claim on their behalf, such as situations involving wrongful death or severe brain damage. In cases where a secondary party is planning to bring forward a claim, it is crucial that they ensure they are within their rights to do so. There may be a more appropriate party to do so. For example, in the case of wrongful death, a spouse is likely more qualified to bring a claim than the parents of the individual who lost their life. Discuss the situation with all the people involved and impacted by the accident to decide who should bring forward the claim.

Who Can I Hold Accountable for Defective Product Injuries?

In cases of defective products, the party responsible will likely be the manufacturer of the product, although there are rare circumstance where another may be at fault. Fault may rest in the design of the product, quality inspections performed, or in the transportation of the product. Usually, though, the manufacturer will be found to be responsible. Take time to pinpoint exactly what aspect of the product caused the injury and prepare this information to use.

Who Is Covered Under My Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

In most cases, this will cover the one who has the insurance and the family members that are part of their household. However, there are certain circumstances where this may not be the case due to unique policy details. Factors that may impact whether or not coverage is provided include who was the passenger and who was the driver in the accident, as well as other such elements. Because this can often be a very complex and difficult matter, we recommend that you talk to a lawyer to find out more about your options.

Who Is Responsible for My Child's Birth Injuries?

In most cases, this could be any medical professional who was involved with the birth or monitoring of your unborn child beforehand. This may extended to doctors, nurses, or other medical caregivers who were involved in the process. You could be entitled to damages that will cover the injury, pain and suffering, and medical expenses for the future. Take time to record exactly how the injury occurred and get the names and contact information of the involved parties.

If you have more questions,contact the Sweetser Law Office for a free consultation at (509) 219-0020. Our Spokane personal injury lawyer is ready to help.

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Do I Have a Personal Injury Case?

Fill Out the Form Below to Get Started Today

Get a Free Consultation

Contact Us Today

contact us

Do I Have a
Personal Injury Case?

Righting Wrongs.
Rebuilding Lives.

Get a Free Consultation